Moth Night

On the 26 July this year I participated in a National Moth Week event at the Devonian Botanic Garden just a short drive west of Edmonton…

It was a magical event, with participants of all ages drawing together for a night of unfettered mothing on the beautiful grounds of the gardens. Shelley Ryan-Hovind hosted the evening, while Gary Anweiler and Dave Lawrie set-up a series of blacklights and sheets at four different locations in the gardens. As someone who normally ‘walks and stalks’ for his bug photography, it was a totally different experience being in the situation where the bugs were coming to me, and in vast amounts! And while the wind and darkness often made photography difficult, it did give me the great experience of what happened at these events and some ideas on how I could get better photographs next time around. It has also inspired me to spend more of my own evenings at home with a blacklight and sheet, because the diversity and beauty of the moths out there are amazing!

Thanks to Gary Anweiler for the moth ID’s, however any mistakes in labeling are my own.

(26 July, 2013. All video shot with the Canon 5D Mk II with Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens at 1920×1080, f8, variable ISO (1600 to 6400). Moth photographs taken with Canon T2i with EF 100mm f 2.8 macro lens and diffused 270 EX II flash, ISO 200, 1/200 sec. @ f11)

Enhanced by Zemanta
This entry was posted in Alberta, Alberta, Amateur Entomologist, Camera, Canada, close-up, Collection, Edmonton, Equipment, Family, Flash, garden, Insect, Lenses, Lepidoptera, macro, photography, Season, Summer and tagged , , , , , , , .

1. Charles Bird 2 December, 2013 at 8:42 AM #

Wonderful Adrian. This brought back to mind many nights when I have spent some time at a moth sheet illuminated by a mercury vapor light.

• Adrian 5 December, 2013 at 1:27 PM #

I enjoyed that evening immensely, and that from someone who usually avoids mass gatherings!

2. Gary Anweiler 2 December, 2013 at 11:01 AM #

What fun Adrian !! And I think you really captured the essence of the evening…and of black-lighting at a sheet with a group of enthusiasts in general!! And I think we got all the moths correctly id’d. Well done!!!!!

Gary

• Adrian 5 December, 2013 at 1:33 PM #

It was fun, and I’m glad people are enjoying the video. It is longer than most people will have patience for, but I thought it worthwhile in order to properly reflect the atmosphere of the evening.Haven’t heard from Dave Lawrie yet…hope he approves!

3. Dave 7 December, 2013 at 7:15 AM #

Very nicely done Adrian. No worries as to length here on the back deck in Brisbane where the only really interesting moth is hidden behind the deck light.

• Adrian 7 December, 2013 at 7:59 AM #

Thanks Dave! As for you, keep those Facebook photographs from Down-under coming, they help keep us warm! (Int. Airport -38 C, -48 with the windchill!)

One Trackback

1. […] about warmer times and abundant insects. Edmonton bug photographer Adrian Thysse just posted a video of his National Moth Week experience at Devonian Gardens in Edmonton over the summer, and it looks like an entomological wonderland […]