Focus Stacking Update II

Stinger at the ready... Bombus vosnesenskii , the yellow-faced bumblebee.

Stinger at the ready… Bombus vosnesenskii , the yellow-faced bumblebee.

I think I have the lighting figured out now. Still some work to do on cleaning, but on the whole I think a satisfying focus stack. Pin and some dust and fibres have been removed with software. This is a 24 image stack was completed in Zerene Stacker. I let the far end of the wing fade into a blur to give it a more authentic look and used a dappled background to avoid that poster-board flatness that is found in many images. Currently working on the same bee with a 50 image stack to see how they compare.

Enhanced by Zemanta
This entry was posted in Alberta, Apidae, Apinae, British Columbia, Canada, Edmonton, Focus stacking, Hymenoptera, Insect, macro, photography, Season, Spring, Studio and tagged , , , , .

1. Sean McCann 14 April, 2014 at 5:11 PM #

Looking good!

• Adrian 15 April, 2014 at 4:07 AM #

You should see it full size on the monitor…crazy detail!

2. Gary Anweiler 14 April, 2014 at 5:41 PM #

Pretty impressive Adrian. There are likely many places where this can be used.

• Adrian 15 April, 2014 at 4:10 AM #

Thanks again for the specimens, Gary. This is time consuming, but seeing the detail is amazing.

3. Sam Droege 14 April, 2014 at 6:22 PM #

Hey Adrian

Nice looking stack. I like the lighting, mostly you are now in the realm of personal preference.

I might suggest adding a bit of velum to the flash head or another bounce to drop some of the reflections a smidge (personal preference) and might suggest using Camera Raw highlights slider to take down the hotspots of the yellow on T3/4 and on the head, a bit distracting in their brightness.

Good job

sam

• Adrian 15 April, 2014 at 4:14 AM #

Thanks for dropping by, Sam! I was pretty excited by the results, and didn’t pay enough attention to those elements. Thanks for the tip!